Excel is a spreadsheet that allows users to create tables and formats that include mathematical calculations using formulas; which can use mathematical operators such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, graphics, tables and any necessary mathematical operation, in short, it is a complete tool when making calculations and charts.
How to Import or Convert CSV Files to Excel or Google Sheets step by step?
The CSV format is very simple and does not indicate a specific character set , nor how the bytes are located, nor the format for the line break. These points must be entered many times when opening the file, for example with a spreadsheet. The CSV format is not standardized.
The basic idea of separating fields with a comma is pretty straightforward , but it gets tricky when the field value also contains double quotes or newlines, CSV implementations may not handle that data, or use quotes from another class to wrap the field.
But this doesn’t solve the problem: some fields also need to embed these quotes, so CSV implementations can include escape characters or sequences .
CSV is a common format for storing and transmitting content , including contacts, calendar appointments, and statistical data. But what if we tell you that this type of file can be imported into Excel that would make things easy.
Excel reads these files by default, but in most cases when you open a CSV file in Excel , you see scrambled data that is impossible to read.
Not all the documents you need to open are in Excel format. Sometimes you get comma separated values (CSV) files . Other tabular data or even plain text files. Fortunately, Excel handles these file formats very well, plus with Excel we can lock spreadsheets as a protection tool.
Excel contains some very useful features for importing other types of files and turning them into spreadsheets that you can work with. It is especially good with these types of files.
- How to import CSV files to Excel?
- How to import multiple CSV files in Excel?
- How to import into Google Sheets?
How to import CSV files to Excel?
Import into Microsoft Excel
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Start/open a blank worksheet/workbook.
- Select the Data tab on the ribbon.
- Select the From Text option. (If the options are grayed out, you may need to open a new spreadsheet/workbook.)
- The text import wizard will open .
- Make sure the delimited option is selected. Click the Next button.
- Select Comma under Delimiters. The text qualifier should display “( double quotes).
- Click the Finish button.
- You may be asked Where do you want to put the data? Click on the top left cell.
- Click the OK button.
- Excel will display the data in your workbook .
How to import multiple CSV files in Excel?
- As you probably know, Microsoft Excel allows you to open multiple CSV files using the Open command.
- Click File > Open and select Text Files ( *.prn, *.txt, *.csv) from the drop-down list in the lower right corner.
- To select adjacent files.
- Click the first file, hold down the Shift key, and then click the last file.
- Both the selected files and all files in between will be selected .
- To select multiple non-adjacent files, hold down the Ctrl keyand click each .csv file you want to open.
- With multiple CSV files selected, click the Open button.
How to import into Google Sheets?
This method is simple and fast and we could call it perfect, but for one small part, it opens each CSV file as a separate Excel workbook.
- Open an existing sheet in Google Sheetsor create a new sheet .
- Select File on the main menu, then Import.
- Select the Upload tab.
- Choose one of the options in the Import action.
- Click the Import button .
- Google Sheets displays the data in your sheet.
- Whether you’re working with CSV filesor other text-based information.
- Excel can convert it into a usable format in your workbook.
- Youjust have to know which buttons to push .