Government in a democracy will be stable. People in society need to have a mind. have democratic behavior or personality as well Government in a democracy will be complete and successful.
In the past, there were research studies Many political scientists and psychologists have mentioned democratic behavior in various aspects, which can be summarized as follows (Somnuek Mangnoi, 1996)
- Knowing their roles and responsibilities
– Respect and follow the rules and regulations of society
– Perform their duties with willingness and produce good results for the public.
– Successfully perform work duties according to the assigned schedule.
– Pay attention to follow up on operations without abandonment.
– Recognize each other’s roles
- Accepting the opinions of others
– Give others the opportunity to express their opinions.
– Do not insult the opinions of others.
– Interested in listening to other people’s opinions willingly
– Ask questions using reason when not understanding other people’s opinions.
– Do not rely on their own opinions that are always correct
- Thinking of the common good rather than the personal benefit
– Know how to make sacrifices based on reason and suitability
– Willing to work with the team
– Do not neglect and ignore any action. that will benefit the public according to their abilities and opportunities
– Learn to be patient and tolerant for the benefit of the public.
– Being ashamed of their behavior to protect their personal interests wrongfully
- Recognition and respect for the rights and duties of individuals
– perform their duties to the best of their ability without intruding or disturbing the duties of others
– Know how to give importance to others indifferent and focused only on oneself
– love justice
– Know empathy and concern for others.
– accept the resolutions of the group
- Use of intelligence or reason to decide the problem.
– Know how to use reason to consider and decide problems when conflicts arise
– Solve problems using supporting information
– Not using beliefs or superstitions as a decision maker
– Know how to analyze and process various events using wisdom and reason all the time
– Separating personal matters from work duties in the workplace or judging any problems
Selective factors related to democratic behavior include:
The family is an institution that is important to the development of children. It is an institution that builds the personality, behavior and intelligence in the future of children. The parenting model that promotes democratic behavior in children is empathic parenting. (authoritative parenting style) means that parents have control over their children’s behavior. but at the same time trying to explain the reason for the action by explaining the rules that children must behave and have a high level of acceptance of children meet the needs of children Children can be themselves as they deserve. Parents make children feel too uncontrolled and independent.
Parenting is too strict. too indulgent and neglect Doesn’t keep children accountable cause children to have no self-discipline does not accept the opinions of others or for the common good There is no reason to think about the problem.
Each gender pays different attention to democratic behavior. Gender roles are determined by family and society’s expectations for men and women differently. According to research in Thailand, it was found that Men are interested in political news. And there is an expectation of the benefits of local government or sanitation. and more democratic ideologies than women
- Participation in democracy activities in school
School is like a society that was created for children and adolescents to develop better socially. There are various activities for children to participate with peers to grow effectively in society. It is a place where political learning can be transmitted both directly and directly. By training to educate political and governance and indirectly by organizing activities for children to know how to behave in society. Create political behavior in schools, such as giving children the opportunity to express their opinions. acceptance of reason Student committee selection or voting for the student body president, etc.
Research in Thailand found that Most students have a democratic political attitude, are conscientious and active interested in political involvement Army cadets and naval cadets There are both authoritarian and democratic political attitudes in one person. But it is more inclined towards authoritarianism than democracy.
- News Awareness
Information is an important factor used in decision-making in human activities. People will want more news. The factors that make people choose to receive various media include their own attitudes and previous experiences, family, society, culture, age, gender, homeland, and education.
However, the influence of the media on the people is not direct. It is an indirect influence. Klapper (1966) states that there are factors that block the influence of the media, namely, the predisposition/choice of the audience. The opinion leader of people in society and media business (Whether it is liberal or monopolized in presenting news)
In addition, the influence that the mass media have on the people is merely a supporter, that is, the media will strengthen the attitudes, values, and behavioral trends of the people. Ready to show up when motivated enough or given the right opportunity. Acting as a changer The media can only be influential when a person is already inclined to change. The media only offer ways to change attitudes and behaviour. And the mass media can create new attitudes and values for people only if the person has no previous knowledge or experience about it. And people have to receive messages that present stories in the same line often because the creation of new attitudes and values is a cumulative influence that can be effective immediately or in a short period of time.